Podocarpus gracilior - watering tips

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by barrolini, Jun 3, 2006.

1. barrolini

barrolini Active Member

I have just acquired a Podocarpus gracilior, for use indoors. It is in a 14" container, fresh from the nursery. It will get very good south -west light.

I have not grown an indoor plant for many years and would appreciate any watering tips for this particular plant. From what I have read generally, this plant likes to go a little dry before re-watering.

For example, if testing for dryness, to what depth should the soil feel dry to my finger before re-watering? Is a water-meter a useful device? Should I consider misting it from time to time?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Barrie

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Water only when more of the soil than less is dry.. most of it unless you see obvious wilting - tho' don't mistake initial adjusting to a new location for lack of water if it doesn't seem totally dry otherwise. It will appreciate an airy, cool (relatively) window but don't bother misting - it's a waste of time. A better idea is a humidity tray - a wide 2" deep plastic tray used for big pots. Fill it with large stones on which you set the pot, then with water, but never let the water reach the pot bottom or you could end up with root rot. Learn to 'read' your tree re watering - don't depend on a moisture meter that has no idea of what plant it's stuck into!