PNW Native Garden Design Tips?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mcroteau1969, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I live in Victoria, BC and am designing a native garden for inside a corner of my house that faces SE and recieves about 3-6 hours of sun, varying seasonally.

I want to cover or partially cover the southfacing wall (measuring 3' wide x 10' high). The roof overhang is about 1' and I am open to the idea of building a trellis to support the plant.

I had considered Lonicera ciliosa (Western Trumpet or Orange Honeysuckle) but I have noticed in my neighbour's yard (and in the natural areas nearby) that it grows high and remains woody at low levels. My neighbour's plants are about 1/4" thick and woody from the ground up to 6'.

So, with that said I have twoi questions I'm hoping to find answers to:

1. Can Lonicera ciliosa withstand pruning to keep it's height down?

2. Can anyone suggest a better plant keeping in mind that I am trying to work within the realm of plants native to the Pacific Northwest?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    Michael, Victoria

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lonicera hispidula grows in dryish coastal areas with salal, Douglas fir, madrona and ocean spray.

3. Harry Hill

Harry Hill Member

Roberts Creek, BC (Sunshine Coast) Zone 8
    Native vines

I have the impression that Lonicera ciliosa climbs high into trees to get to the light. If you could ensure it gets sufficient light at a lower height you could keep it pruned and still get blooms.

Lonicera hispidula flowers aren't as showy as those on Lonicera ciliosa, but it has the advantage of being evergreen. It tends to sprawl more than twine.

There aren't many native vines to choose from, but Clematis ligusticifolia is another possibility. Info here:
    http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=plant_profile.cgi&symbol=CLLI2
    http://www.cwnp.org/photopgs/cdoc/clligusticifolia.html

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

5. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

Thank you!

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Now is it crazy of me to think that I might be able to grow both?

I quickly looked in a book (Pojar/McKinnon - Plants of Coastal BC) and there is little to indicate they might not grow in the same conditions ... the USDA plants database shows very similar ranges for both plants.

M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.