Identification: Plez help me with the name of this Plant????

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by RickeyS, Jul 16, 2007.

1. RickeyS

RickeyS Member

I think its a Elafant Ear ??? Hummmm not sure BUT,,,,,, It started with two big leafs and then one died and then it was just one for a while then a new one came up,, THEN THE OTHER ONE DIES ! SO please help me out,, on what to do for this thing to grow healthy.

It was a plant I gopt from my Moms Funeral,,I am very worried...Thanks so much God bless.

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

3. RickeyS

RickeyS Member

Thanks,,so much,,

This Plant is so speacil to me,,do you know what I can do to help this plant?? Its inside on my fire place step wall,,It gets light from a house light not the sun, and it was looking great 2 big leafs ,, then one of the leafs terned brown and died and when it died another one grew up the little one you see in this pic. and then the other big one died !! now its just one little one standing along. Mybe somebody can help me out.

4. gagee

gagee Member

Looks like some sort of diffenbachia. Don't water it too much. Give it some indirect sunlight for a while. See what happens. YOu can always call a florist and they can help

5. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

Looks more like an Alocasia to me. One of the Aroids.
    Gene

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The problem you are describing appears to be lack of light. These will not do well as a "house plant" in the interior of a house. Move it where it can catch more light. And be sure and keep the soil evenly moist. Very important for the plant's well being.

It is likely a cultivar of Alocasia micholitziana. That plant is often known as the African Mask or sometimes Green Velvet. It is sold commercially as Alocasia 'Frydek' and sometimes as Alocasia 'Maxkowskii' Alocasia micholitziana (mik-oh-lit-zee-AY-nuh) has a glossy surface to the upper leaf blade.

"Frydek" appears to be a name given to the plant by a plant tissue culture company who wanted a unique trade name since the plant is commonly cloned and sold in numerous nurseries and discount stores. This species is commonly created in a lab test tube and that process is called "tissue culture", but it is basically just cloning. Rather than use a seed or a cutting, the plant was "grown" from the genetic material of the species.

Rather than coming from Africa, as one common name infers, the plant is actually a native of the Philippines. If grown in low light the Alocasia often looses much of its green color on the upper surface of the leaf and becomes almost black. However, it will grow well in medium filtered light. If possible, keep it near a window if grown as a house plant. Don't try to grow it in direct sunlight, this plant is not a sun lover.*** READ MY NOTE BELOW It can stand as tall as 4 feet but typically is only 2 to 3 feet in height.

This is a true tropical and will not tolerate freezes. If you plan to keep it in a cold climate be sure and grow it in a pot and bring it indoors once the temps drop below 55 degrees to avoid dormancy. The natural growing media for this plant is a well aerated soil. You can duplicate this mix with good potting soil (use a "moisture control type") with bark and charcoal, such as orchid potting media, mixed with coarse Perliteā„¢ and peat moss. Keep the soil evenly damp, never soggy.

Since it is an aroid, this species (or cultivar) will produce an interesting spathe and spadix which most would call a flower. The spathe is typically produced in May or June.

Even though some websites say it is difficult to grow, in fact it is quite easy. However, like many other Alocasia sp. it often goes dormant when the temperatures drop. You may not see it for some months until spring and warmer weather returns, but in most cases, it will return.

Check your plant against this photo to confirm if it is actually Alocasia micholitziana.

*** As you will soon read, growers who live in the region where this species is found in nature have observed it will in fact grow in bright direct sunlight. My information was taken from what I thought was a reliable source. Obviously, it was not! I appreciate the corrections you will soon read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  7. RickeyS

RickeyS Member

Thanks to all !! This pic is it and the info is great. I have been keeping it next to a house light not eny outside light. I feel so stupid.

8. photopro

Glad you finally know what you are growing. This species does appreciate high humidity so the pebble tray idea is a good one. Those are simple to make. Just take anything that will hold water and is just a bit larger than the bottom of the pot. Fill it with pebbles and then with water. Sit your plant's pot on top of the pebbles. When you water the plant the excess will drain into the pebble tray. Make sure it stays filled with water. The idea is to create a zone of humid air around the plant. And it appears to work very well! Don't forget to keep the soil damp, but not soggy! And moderately bright light will make the Alocasia much happier.

9. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Alocasias here in the Philippines even grow in places where there are always water. There is even a species that we dry first the leaves and stem before we cook it. I also think this plant will grow in full sun if acclimatized just as we have here.

10. photopro

Thanks for the info Everlasting. I read a great deal of scientific material about plants and your information is new to me, but since you see them daily, and botanists sometimes only a few times, your info is most valuable. I am aware of quite a few of these plant species that can be cooked and eaten if properly prepared. Thanks again!

11. RickeyS

RickeyS Member

Thanks ,,!! I am going to pick up a Pebble tray and you said just put the pebble's down first then put the pot onto of the rocks and let water stand in the tray at all times?? I have a pottery pot with one nickle size hole in the middle of the bottom. Thanks agian for all your help !! I will have a updated pic of this plant in a day or so. Can I post it here or were can you post it?

12. photopro

You got it! Just make sure the pebbles are not calcium based (white rock in your area) and no hole in the bottom of the pebble tray so it will hold water. Discount stores sell pot bases that work well for this purpose.

13. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with everlasting...i have mine growing in not quite full sun and if i keep the water up to it in summer it thrives in this spot. Mine is about 3 feet tall and i get a lot of enjoyment out this and many alocasia's.

Ed

14. photopro

I sincerely appreciate the corrected information, especially since it comes from growers in the zone where this plant persists in nature. I must make one additional comment and then, for my part, this one is "over" done. I just received a personal email telling me the name 'Frydek' was the name of a botanist and is a part of the scientific name. That is incorrect.

I did find one website which appears to imply the 'Frydek' is the name of some person who discovered the species. If you check TROPICOS, which is a service of the Missouri Botanical Garden, you'll find in fact this species was described to science in 1839 by a botanist named Sander.

When a name follows a scientific name and is found in single quotes (i.e. 'Frydek'), that is an indication the name is a registered cultivar. There are rules governing the use of such registered names in the world of plant trade and the single quotes is the governing factor. Once registered, no other company can use that name in the plant trade. However no company can attempt to copyright the scientific name. Therefore they must add a cultivar name.

Others have also registered this species as a cultivar using other names in single quotes. When they sell the plant to nurseries and retail stores they can put a tag on it legally with their selected cultivar name. Interestingly, many choose names that at least appear to be scientific and sometimes end with double i (ii) to make it look semi-official. I can only reason they are trying to fool people into believing that is the plant's scientific name. It has nothing to do with a botanist or botanical name.

Check TROPICOS or the International Plant Names Index, which are a scientific sites, and I'll bet you can't find a single mention of the word Frydek. That is simply a trade name.

15. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd have thought 'Frydek' was the brand name of a make of barbecue equipment!

16. photopro

Just curious, do you do an act using plants in a night club somewhere?? Another good one!