pleione cultivation

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by chilipepper, Mar 20, 2010.

1. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

Hi people, because i have 2 pleiones that are about to flower. i want to try to make them produce seed and grow some new plants. I know that it is difficult to grow orchids from seed but i think that it might be a good experience. I also do not know how to pollinate the flowers to get the seed. if anyone has some information that you think could help please reply. thank you!

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

You may get bulbils from the pseudobulb that can be grown on to build up a stock. Concerning pollination and seed this site may help www.pleione.info/

3. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

i tried that site but I do not have the "media" they are talking about. can I use agar, I have some potato dextrose agar. I heard that you could germinate from bark, would that be more simple?

Also, how do you get the bulbils off the mother bulb and when could do that? the bulb that I have now has no roots but the babies stuck on it do, could I take the mother bulb away? it's still a little green but is it dead?

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Pleiones multiply just like many other garden plants. You can just break off the babies and get more plants that way, as long as your culture is good enough to make those babies. Growing from seed is a rather involved process that I haven't tried yet, but if you're into it, go ahead! The main thing is to keep everything sterile - the seed, the media, the container, etc. Contamination can happen, even with the best of them. Let us know how it works out! I'm not sure you could germinate from bark, but you could try. Add the agar to it, and see. Can't really help you there.