Identification: Plectranthus scutellarioides, Coleus?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by TheScarletPrince, Jul 22, 2015.

1. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Hello all,

Interested in some advice for this plant:

#1 (jungle-keeper suggested Plectranthus scutellarioides, Coleus) Sister gave to me as visiting gift, don't really know what it is (or if it is safe to plant/not systemically treated/etc. Dipped it in rooting hormone (although it was said it can root in just water) and put it in a pot, seems to be growing.

Thank you for your time and consideration, it is very much appreciated. I am grateful for any help or comments. Have a great day!~

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Agree with Junglekeeper, Coleus.

3. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Thanks to the both of you.
    Does anyone know if this plant blooms? Does it prefer shade, full sun? Perhaps I should look it up myself. :)

Edit: So I've been looking the plants up (which is fun!) and this is an interested read:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_scutellarioides
    "Plectranthus scutellarioides (coleus) is a species of flowering plant in the family Lamiaceae, native to south east Asia and Malaysia. Growing to 60–75 cm (24–30 in) tall and wide, it is a bushy, woody-based evergreen perennial, widely grown for its highly decorative variegated leaves.[2] Another common name is painted nettle,[3] reflecting the deadnettle family to which it belongs."
    ..."The name "coleus", still widely used by horticulturalists and gardeners, refers to a defunct genus, and may be regarded as a common name for this species in particular. The name Solenostemon scutellarioides is similarly widely used for this species."

Cool.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015