Please suggest vine for shade, enclosed area

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by janetdoyle, Jun 23, 2008.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I am going to have to remove a New Dawn rose on a trellis in my townhouse patio, because the under-eaves location is too shaded, it is in dense shade after about 1 pm and only gets about an hour of direct sun before that... the siding nearby is dark brown; most of the morning sunlight is filtered through tall trees. The patio is surrounded by a cedar fence and the air circulation is reduced accordingly. I will then have a location on this trellis for a climber or an espaliered shrub. Any suggestions? My many groundcovers grow well in the ground patch there, but even the potted plants on that patio don't get enough sun to really do well, I will have to revert to true shade-lovers. I have two pyracanthas espaliered on the fence nearby and they do fine.

The rose I grew in Nova Scotia against a white siding but there was air circulation [breeze] and mixed sun and shade all day, shade from about 3 pm on, in that location... this location seems to breed incredible powdery mildew on the plant and I have drenched it with fungicide but the combination of conditions is not permitting blooms of any note and the thing is just not thriving. I presume I can transplant it to elsewhere and try to revive it, which I will, but it will be exposed to deer... and will have to be hung with mothballs and whatnot owing to that...

So, is there anything I can substitute which would survive and perhaps give some bloom? Climbing hydrangea sounds too massive for the location, there isn't much space.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If sheltered maybe one of the evergreen hydrangeas like Hydrangea seemanii or H. integrifolia.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Thank you, Ron, I will see if I can locate one of these at the local nurseries. I had a feeling it would be one of the hydrangea types.

4. poezy

poezy Member

How about distictus river (not sure of the spelling but known as trumpet vine)? It loves shade and just needs water. The flowers are just beautiful and doesn't need too big of a space to plant it in.