Please Identify This Ground Cover?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Laughing Dog, May 18, 2007.

1. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

We bought our current place a year ago and began extensive landscaping. At present we have learned to keep all the identification tags whenever we place a new plant. Unfortunately, we failed to consider that last fall when we started planting. We built a curved wall and placed numerous types of sedum and ground cover in the cracks to soften it and give it more age. It is working out beautifully, but there is one particular plant we have come to admire but are unable to identify - as we would like to obtain some more. Initially is was not much of a looker, but the past few weeks it has displayed these beautiful, delicate flowers which look terrific against the wall:

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Unless someone else can ID it, may I suggest taking another pic when it isn't exposed to full sun (either on a cloudy day or perhaps early AM / late PM) - the whites are blown out (typically of sunny day pics of white flowers) so there's a lack of detail in the flower.

3. Marianna Kiva

Marianna Kiva Member

Although the picture shows larger flowers, it may be a Snow Maiden Creeping Phlox.
    How large are the flowers?

Marianna

4. Laughing Dog

Daniel - I have attached two more pictures on a cloudy day, I definitely need to learn how to use the macro feature on my digital camera, I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 7900 if anyone is familiar and has photography suggestions. The flowers are difficult to display on a photo as they are somewhat lopsided in that the lower petals are much longer then the upper ones, it is this asymmetry which gives it a nice overall appearance.

Marianna - these pictures may provide a better size comparison. My wife thinks you may be right, but does not quite remember the 'Snow Maiden' name ... hate it when our memory goes :-)

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Flower shape reminds me more of a Lobelia ('White Cascade'?) than a phlox - but that macro feature on the camera would sure come in handy!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mazus reptans 'Alba'.

7. Laughing Dog

Ron, looks like you've nailed it. I love Google, did a quick search using the name you provided and found the following - which matches my plant in every aspect ...
    MAZUS REPTANS Alba Short 3" - Plant 20" apart. Zone 5-8 Quick to fill in, forms a dense mat of twisty green foliage with fingernail sized leaves. A great over-planting for bulbs. Mini orchid-like flowers have three fingered petals with one curving upwards. Sports a yellow central leopard spotted highlight on white flowers. Will tolerate some foot traffic. White flowering.

Thanks - much appreciated. The description goes on to state this plant prefers moist, rich soil ... which are not its current conditions jammed into a crack in a stone wall! I guess it may not survive the summer, but will give it a try anyway.

Attached Files:

8. Marianna Kiva

Marianna Kiva Member

I am glad that the identification was made. In Manitoba the weather is rainy and cold. My plants are traveling from the grow lights to the garage and back. We have cut down on the front garden , but extended the herb one in the back. It is wonderful to sample our own herbs in the winter, so we decided to extent it.

Marianna Kiva