Please ID succulents from my husband

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Jun 9, 2007.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Between a gift from my husband on our anniversary and a cactus show today, I now have 16 new succulents. That means, just this month, I have 33 new succulents. I really do have serious addiction here. The plants I bought at the Cactus & Succulents Show were actually labeled with their names, but the ones my husband got me, I haven't a clue on their names. Two had tags: Echeveria 'Lola' and Graptoveria 'Bella', can I enlist your help in naming the rest of them.

Attached Files:

2. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Neat-O gifts! Where to start? The Echeveria 'Lola' is correctly named. I'm not so sure about the Graptoveria 'Bella'. Could be another Graptoveria, but don't have a name to give you, as I have a couple of these I've been pulling my hair out about! Congrats on increasing your collection! This is a good addiction to have! :D

In the center, Senecio scaposus; to the right of it (sort of 3 o'clock) an Aeonium -not sure which; below that (4:00) an Echeveria (with shaviana in its parentage-if not the species); to the left of that (somewhat center) Aloe striata (if margins are not toothed-otherwise a hybrid of); red one Crassula cultrata; below that Crassula -maybe C. erosula, which may color up for you.

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Rosemarie, you are so helpful in knowing the names of succulents. Thankyou so much. My collection of succulents is now well over the 100 mark. Since all my plants are in pots, I brought them in the house over the winter. Is this something I really need to do? Last year it was an easier task because I had about half as many as I do now. I see that you live in Southern California as well, so what do you do with your plants when it starts to get cold? My husband is hinting about building a greenhouse for me. That would be amazing if that actually came to be.

4. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

You're very welcome! It's an obsession of mine! :D

Nothing comes in for the winter here. I'm only a mile from the beach & we rarely even get frost, although this past January was the exception, when I lost quite a few to the freeze. If I had to do again, I think I'd move them closer to the wall of the house or cover them with sheets or blankets.

I just realized you're in the same place my hubby is currently working (6 mo job-3 more months to go) ~ across from March AFB. Do you get freezing temps there in winter? I think I asked you this before but don't recall your answer. :(

5. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

It usually stays above 32 degrees, but as you know weird weather happens like this last winter and that huge freeze. Hopefully that was just a fluke. We've lived here since 1979 and I have only seen it snow twice. (Really once, because the first time was just a bunch of sleet and slush, not really snow.)