Please I.D. this for me...

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by yousatonmycactus, Apr 1, 2007.

1. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

This unmarked, furry, ground hugging vine is at the Getty Villa in Malibu. Can someone I.D. it for me please?

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi is a species of Salvia....

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaf shape and lobing perhaps different but start by comparing with S. argentea.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wow! Nice Photo. I pinched it for my desktop.

Regards
    Chris

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

A great picture I agree, but would be just as great on screen if it was, say only 1100 pixels wide instead of 2500 and file size almost 2 Mb. I have a very fast connection but it's still irritating the time taken for pics like this to load - and there seem to be more and more of them lately.

Most photo editing applications allow resizing and resaving. I attach an example below, a pic I took a week ago in my neighborhood. The original file size was 3.07 Mb, pixel size 3072 x 2048. It took me less than one minute in Photoshop Elements to resize it to 1100 x 733 pixels and resave with little compression to file size 350 Kb. I still have the original full-sized file intact.

I hope this isn't too much of a sour note, but rather a helpful hint. And by the way, can anyone identify the tree in my picture?

Attached Files:

6. pedalada

pedalada Member

As my answer, I attach a picture of a young tree taken in a wild forest of Japan.
    Young individuals of this species look a bit different from mature ones.
    I think the genus is right at least.

Attached Files:

• Xj.jpg
      Xj.jpg
      File size:
      99.5 KB
      Views:
  7. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Pedalada, I suspect we have the same genus at least. I did not know the juvenile growths had spines like this, but one of my books confirms it.

In recent classifications it has a connection with willows.

8. pedalada

pedalada Member

9. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Pedalada, you are on the right track!

This shrub/tree was promoted as a hedge or screen plant around 30 years ago in Australia, as Xylosma senticosa. Walking past a large specimen in inner-suburban Sydney a few weeks ago, I saw flowers for the first time and couldn't wait to photograph them (hanging over the street). Chasing the name up with Google I got the impression that X. congesta is the name in use now, though could not find any good botanical study.

Just to get super-pedantic, the name Xylosma is correctly treated as of feminine gender. As Stearn's Botanical Latin points out, while most Greek-derived names ending in -ma (-sperma, -stoma, -stigma, etc) are neuter, there are some exceptions such as -osma and -cnema that are feminine. So the epithets japonicum, congestum, racemosum, senticosum should all be corrected to japonica, congesta, racemosa, senticosa -- ignored by most references but supported at this website:
    http://www.bgbm.org/scripts/asp/IAPT/ncugentry.asp?name=Xylosma

I loved your link to the original illustration in Siebold & Zuccarini. It's good the way more and more libraries and botanical institutions are making these classic references available online.