Identification: Please Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jessielauren, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jessielauren

jessielauren Member

I was given this plant as a gift and am struggling to keep it alive. It's flower is one big petal (not sure the correct term). Does anyone know what type it is ??

Thank!
    Jess

Attached Files:

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Its a Spathiphyllum. The "one big petal" is actually a modified leaf called a spath and the flower cluster is the knobby structure it surrounds.

Spathiphyllum are found in the wild growing along streams and do best with "wet feet". They need plenty of water and can even tolerate some standing water in the saucer. The leaves will quickly droop when the plant is too dry.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a Spathiphyllum - commonly called a Peace Lily. They're very easy aroids to care for - water them when they get dry and they're good for years and years. They also help clean your air of toxins and pollutants.

The "flower" you're seeing is actually the inflorescence of the plant. The one "petal" is called the spathe, and the bumpy piece is shields is called the spadix (which is where the actual flowers are, but they're almost microscopic.) More on the structure of this type of flower can be found here.

4. jessielauren

jessielauren Member

Thank you so much!

It was given to me hanging, and I wasnt sure if that is where it is "happiest".. I will research

Good to know about the toxins!

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's going to be happiest in indirect light; in nature they're understory plants so they don't ever really see the sun....

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I would repot larger, and forgo hanging.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Interesting. This is the first time I've ever seen a Spathiphyllum in a hanging basket.

8. jessielauren

jessielauren Member

Repotted - wont rehang. Perhaps that was cause for unhappiness.. thanks for all the advice:)