Identification: Please help with ID of plant...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tomwhite70, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tomwhite70

tomwhite70 Member

This plant was given to our office as a gift and we don't know what it is. I am apparently not taking correct care of it and we don't want to lose it. Any help as to what it is can send me in the right direction to get care instructions. Thanks in advance.

image 1
    image 2
    image 3
    image 4

Sorry the thumbnails didn't come out correctly - must be doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  2. Latifa

Latifa Member

Your pictures are bad, but I think you have a Dracena marginata there!

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i don't see anything wrong with the pictures.

what you have is a draceana marginata. it should be in a very well-draining soil (cactus soil or a mix of regular soil and cactus soil) and let it dry out a couple of inches down into the soil before watering again.

let the tap water sit at least overnight so that the chlorine can dissipate - and always use room temp water. i always keep gallon jugs filled and handy so that i can water when needed (versus having to fill a container and wait overnight).

the direct sunlight may be the problem as they really don't like full sun. try moving it to the far side of the room so it is getting indirect light not full-on as it is right by the window.

it's natural growth pattern is to send up new leaves from the center/top and the older leaves at the bottom will die off, so, seeing dead leaves at the bottom section of the leaves is normal.