Please help with a dying rabbit's foot fern

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by TotalAlina, Jul 8, 2007.

1. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

A few weeks ago, I got a rabbit's foot fern (at least that's the store's ID -- mine has the white furry things sticking out around, so I think they were right). It was in a reasonably well-sized, well-drained pot. A couple of weeks later, with 2-3 waterings a week, it started feeling quite bad and lost up to half of all fronds, so I repotted it (it's a well-drained pot, too). The root system looked nice and healthy.

I then read everything I could find on the web -- and there lies the problem. One site says "you can't overwater it" and that you are supposed to mist it every day and that it does not like sunlight. Another says that most ferns die from lack of light and overwatering! Yet another says it's a "truly rare plant" and hard to care for, and yet another says it's supposed to be easy and robust.

I have since tried everything -- watering it every day, misting it, sunnier and less sunny places, but it's still going down. Some of the fronds become lighter in color, thinner and then eventually get totally dry. What should I do?? It still has maybe a third of its original foliage on, so now would be a great time to finally stick to the right thing. Please help!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If this is Davallia, it is better in dry conditions than wet. Avoid over-watering. It can go without water for months, though a weekly watering is better for it.

3. cvogt

cvogt Member

your plant sounds healty, since Rabbits Foot Fern is deciduous, chances are the fern is shedding its fronds