Please help! What’s wrong with my camellia?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jessie_socl, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Jessie_socl

Jessie_socl New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Hopefully the smart people here can help me to save my camellia. The edges of the leaves start drying out as shown in the attached pictures and it’s getting worse in recent weeks. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot!
    Jessie

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    What exposure is your camellia?

Have you done construction of buildings or hardscape (a new paved path for example)

How long have you personally cared for this camellia ... have you just moved in or is this a long term garden you planted and maintained?

I am no expert - but did it dry out in last year drought .... or get very cold frost ?

Have you trimmed or removed any shrubs nearby that used to help protect this camellia?

This is prime bloom season and many camellias I’ve observed in the neighbourhood look better than ever ... then again maybe we have more time to pause and enjoy right now !

I think camellia like a similar food to what one one carefully apply near drip line of a rhododendron .... have you been “over-indulging” this shrub or garden bed with food?

EDIT - have you had your roof de-mossed with (chemical) or maybe power wash your hardscape with chemical? Even if it says “safe”

I don’t know much about bugs and fungal health etc so likely someone else has a suggestion based on your photos.

3. Jessie_socl

Jessie_socl New Member

thank you very much for your response! I think overindulging it with food might be most likely...