Please help to identify this plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by C8luvs2gardn, Jul 10, 2008.

1. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

This plant started growing in my garden this spring & since I didn't know what it was I decided to leave it til I could identify it. (I have added some wonderful plants to my garden this way!).

However it is now 5' tall and although I know I've seen it before (maybe wild?) can't seem to find it on any sites I've checked, & I don't have wildflower ident. book. Yellow flowers have 4 petals and seem to last only 1 day. It has just started to bloom, and flowers remind me of evening primrose.

thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Take more pix when it finally blooms.

Oenothera biennis

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

It does look like an Oenothera.

4. C8luvs2gardn

Hi,

Here are 2 more pics taken 5 minutes ago showing the blossoms. I checked for pics and descriptions of Oenothera and O.biennis but couldn't find any reference to a plant this big - it is FIVE FEET TALL and about 4 feet around it has many branches which all culminate in these flower spikes. Thanks for your help,

Attached Files:

5. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

It's Oenothera biennis - under garden conditions, wild plants typically get a lot bigger and more robust than their counterparts that don't have the benefit of amended soil, extra water, fertilizer, etc..

6. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

Here is a wild specimen that I photographed last year that is probably about 4 feet in height, in very poor soil conditions:

Attached Files:

7. C8luvs2gardn

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I can see now that it is indeed O.biennis, both my neighbour and myself have the cultivated versions in our gardens, but this one is just so much bigger - like it's on steroids or something! Also, I have never seen one that branched out like this one is doing.

Love this site - just joined 2 days ago, but I will definitely visit freqently. I'm going to garden design next..... see you there I hope

Cate

8. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The cultivated one in your garden is probably a form of Oenothera fruticosa, a completely different species.