Identification: Please help to identify my sick tree!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lilsoy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

Hi, can anyone help to identify and diagnose my tree?

I have had this tree for 3 years and have not moved it from its place in my apartment for 1.5 years. Over the last few months, it has lost all of its leaves on one side and some of its leaves from the other side. What could be causing this?

The tree has stiff, oblong, dark green leaves that are smooth and quite thick. It doesn't lose its leaves in the winter. The leaves are quite stiff and dry by nature, it is not possible to bend the leaves without snapping them.

Please help!! I would like to save this small tree! I have posted 2 pictures here, one of the whole tree and the other just of the leaves on top. The leaves on top are starting to dry out - this is what the leaves on the side looked like before they fell off. Sorry, the pictures are a bit dark, I took them in the evening

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Sorry, i'm not sure the id of your plant, so I can't help in it's care as far as watering and light.
    You may want to ck for any kind of pest, including spidermites. An indication spidermites are present is if you see very fine webbing around the leaves.
    Also, make sure your tree is not severely root-bound which can cause water to run straight through the pot barely wetting the root-ball.

3. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

Thanks for your reply Bluewing! I am not very knowledgeable in plants - what does it mean to be severely root-bound?

I am also attaching 2 more pictures taken just now in case someone can help to identify the tree. It is daytime now so the pictures are much brighter

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

4. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

stumper? can anyone identify this tree?

Dear all, I wasn't able to get any IDs from the houseplant ID forum and am wondering if it is because I posted in the wrong forum? My tree does not seem to be a common houseplant, so I'm trying it here instead. (apologies for the repeat, will delete the other post shortly)

My tree of 3 years has lost almost all its leaves on one side over the last few months, marginally more leaf-loss on the top than on the bottom. It hasn't been moved from its spot in the apartment for about 1.5 years. The tree has stiff, oblong, dark green leaves that are smooth and quite thick. It doesn't lose its leaves in the winter. The leaves are quite stiff and dry by nature, it is not possible to bend the leaves much without snapping them.

In the second picture, you can see some of the leaves drying out - this is what they look like before they fall off. Otherwise, the leaves look healthy, doesn't look like there are any mites. If anyone has any ideas on how to save it, please let me know. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

I also checked for mites and don't seem to see any. Aside from the 2 at the top that are drying out, the leaves look quite healthy. The leaf loss is more at the top than at the bottom.

I realized that perhaps my tree is not a common houseplant. Does it make sense to move it to plant ID instead? I can delete this thread if it is better, in order to avoid repeats.

thanks again everyone

6. Bluewing

lilsoy,

Severely root-bound is basically when the roots (matted, or have grown too large for the pot) growing around and around in tangled circles leaving not much, if any soil left. So when it's watered, the water will run straight through like a fishing net, leaving most of the roots dry as well as the plant.

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

Re: stumper? can anyone identify this tree?

ficus elastica aka rubber tree.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, not sure what it is, but it isn't Ficus - that has alternate leaves, not opposite.

9. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

hi joclyn, i'm not sure it is a rubber tree... here are the reasons why:

1. its leaves are much smaller than the typical rubber tree, around 4 inches (10 cm) long and 1.5 inches (4 cm) wide
    2. its leaves have rounded tips, do not end with a point like the rubber tree
    3. leaf arrangement is opposite (there are 2 leaves at each node and it is more or less symmetical) instead of alternate
    4. the leaves seem more matte than the rubber tree, whose leaves seem more shiny

i have scoured the internet for pictures and potential descriptions but haven't been able to find any information. A last clue is that I bought the tree in Hong Kong, so it might be an Asian tree (but unclear as trees can be shipped around the globe)

i'm not a tree expert, so if this tree is some special variant of the household rubber tree, than please let me know. otherwise, any other thoughts / suggestions?

appreciate your help!

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads into the Indoor Plants ID forum)

11. lilsoy

lilsoy Member

Reasons why tree would lose all leaves on one side?

Dear all, does any have ideas on why a tree might lose all its leaves on one side?

I have a tree that no one seems to be able to identify, it has lost all its leaves on one side, and I am hoping to resuscitate it. The small branches on the one side have become dry and crisp but the other side of the tree seems to be doing ok (for now at least). It is a house-tree sized plant with hard symmetrical leaves. (see my previous post for a pcture)

Some ideas... not enough sunlight on the dead side facing the wall? maybe it was only watered on one side? any suggestions for sicknesses known only to affect one side of a tree?

Any ideas welcome!

12. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Reasons why tree would lose all leaves on one side?

Your tree looks Schefflera-like to me. I will reiterate what previous respondents have said: first, check thoroughly for mites, scale, fungus, or anything else that should be removed or treated; then get the plant out of the pot and see what's going on with the roots. It may well be in need of repotting---or it could have some root issues not visible from the outside. Is the plant receiving uneven light? Is it near a heat (or cold) source on the leaf-dropping side? Does the leaf-dropping coincide with being moved to a new location in your house? Do you give your plant a good thorough EVEN soaking when you water it? ---Part of plant ownership is detective work!

13. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Hmm am I missing something?
    I don't see a photo....just curious

Ed

14. togata57

Consult previous postings by lilsoy.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads again due to confusion)

16. Bluewing

Could this possibly be an outdoor tree/bush and NOT a houseplant?

17. togata57

Rhododendron? Still think that it looks schefflera-like. Whatever it is, something has to have recently changed in its environment. Poster says that the tree is at least 3 years old and has been in the same spot for half that time. ---New curtains that let in more/too much light? A new cat in the household? Something is different: just gotta find out what it is.