Please help, overwatered schefflera!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nanso, Mar 21, 2010.

1. nanso

nanso Member

Hi,
    I bought a schefflera about 2 months ago, it's 2 stems in the same pot and I've been watering it whenever the soil at the top gets dry. Recently it started wilting and losing leaves despite being watered. So I dug it up to look at the roots. The soil around the roots was quite wet. One stem seems OK. The other isn't doing so great.

The bottom of the second stem, right on top of the roots is a bit soft, and its top/surface came off when I rubbed it with my hand. The rest of it (core of the stem) is still firm though. The roots dont look rotten although some/parts of them came off when I put them under running water. So I think it's not completely rotten, but it's starting to rot.

I'm planning to repot them separately, hopefully the first stem will get better. But is there anything I can do about the second one? I dont want to cut off the bottom of the stem altogether and try to re-root it because I'm worried it won't root. Would it survive in water, just enough for the leaves to stop wilting, then maybe I can re-pot it in fresh soil? I've done this with money plants when they have trouble taking up water but scheffleras are more picky. Or would it be better if I just re-pot it and hope it survives? I have hydrotons, would repotting them in those instead of soil (maybe temporarily) help?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks alot for your help.