Please help my dying sego!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Linda S., Aug 26, 2022.

1. Linda S.

Linda S. New Member

I have a sego that was planted about 20 months ago. Last winter we had a deep frost, but we covered the sego and it seemed fine. In the spring it sprouted a whole new layer of fronds. About 3 weeks ago, it started yellowing. We went on vacation and when we returned 2 weeks later, it had completely wilted and the new growth that had begun in the center can be pulled out easily. I really hate to lose this plant. Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and save it?

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums!

All is not lost! There is hope for your palm.
    I think that if you cut back the fronds...and wait...your patience and care may be rewarded.

(Wellspring Landscape Services is located in Austin.)

Good botanical luck to you and your palm!
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Linda S. likes this.
  3. Linda S.

Linda S. New Member

I enjoyed your video. The only problem I have is that I thought if you could pull out the fronds from the crown, the plant was completely dead. I have cut off/pulled out all 5he yellowed fronds and all except for the tiny center fronds just pulled right out. Do you think I should still wait with this plant and hope for a miracle?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It doesn't sound like this is the result of the cold since the plant sprouted new growth in the spring and the problem only started recently. In any case, I wouldn't give up on it just yet as there's new growth at the base of the trunk.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022