Identification: Please help me identify...

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mackenml, Jun 29, 2013.

1. mackenml

mackenml New Member

I found this on a tree in my yard in Central Florida & have no idea what it is.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Greetings!

More information is needed, but also I expect this one will be hard to ID from a photo even with the details.
    - If it is firm/hard with pores on the underside, then I would think I'm looking at a fuzzy topped young polypore, guttulating.
    - If it is soft/watery, then possibly a slime mold.
    - If it is neither, then more information about the structure of this fruiting body will be needed, eg what does the underside look like.

Knowing the species may be useful to you in terms of knowing how your tree is doing. You might wish to remove a piece of this fruiting body and bring it to your local mycological club.

If it is hard, polypore-like, then the tree is likely suffused with the body of the fungus, and removing a piece of the fruiting body would be helpful for ID. If it is soft or softer, removing the whole fruiting body (without damaging the tree's bark) would be best for ID. Watery slime molds are both hard to removing and hard to ID, but not damaging to your tree.

Hope that is helpful.
    cheers,
    frog