Please help me identify my magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by canbur, Jun 7, 2006.

1. canbur

canbur Member

I believe this tree is around 15-17 years old and finally bloomed this year for the first time. The blooms are 8-12" and I'd like to know exactly what kind of magnolia grandiflora it is. The leaves are so much more brighter green than the magnolias I knew in Mississippi. As a matter of fact, the leaves are so light that they blossoms are hard to find because they blend right in with the foliage.

We live in Albuquerque, NM and the tree came from a nursery here, but since we received it as a gift, I don't have the identification on it.

Are there different kinds of magnolia grandiflora?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d827b3127cce89bc885bd2fb00000015108EauG7Rm0a8

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d827b3127cce89bc8b9492ad00000016108EauG7Rm0a8

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d827b3127cce89b375baf22b00000016108EauG7Rm0a8

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The leaves might just be pale because of the intensity of the NM sunlight, compared to the more humid, cloudier conditions in MS.

Also what is the pH of your soil in NM? If it is very alkaline, that too might make it yellower ('chlorotic'). Magnolias prefer slightly acidic soils.

3. canbur

canbur Member

I thought of that, too. The leaves have always been that color, straight from the nursery. I wonder if the tree was "born" here or in a different state. I wonder what kind of soil the nursery had it in. Ah well, the mysteries of life, huh? We tend to have pretty alkaline soil, here, so that is probably what has happened.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

From the appearance, my guess would be that your plant is a Magnolia virginiana. Its size for its age almost resembles that which you would expect to see in Florida, small.
    Florida sandy soils are typically alkaline, in general. The virginiana is more typically indigenous to black muck soil found in river runoff areas shoreward of the Appilachian mountains. Another name for your pretty tree is Sweet Bay. In florida, this tree will rarely be taller than 30'. However, in its more customary area of growth, trees of 80' to 90' are not unusual. I presume that river bottom silty soil is the difference. This soil,as a rule will be acidic. The leaves should be bright green on top and silver or silvery on the bottom.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yours looks like it has some characters of the very common "MAJESTIC BEAUTY® SOUTHERN MAGNOLIA
    Magnolia grandiflora 'Monlia' Plant Patent No. 2250" (see monrovia.com, the source of this phrase) recognizable for larger than usual, paddlelike leaves, not especially hairy beneath, and large flowers furnishing a noticeably pyramidal crown.