Please help me ID this plant, why is it turning brown?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by nanso, Feb 6, 2010.

1. nanso

nanso Member

Hi,
    I've had this plant for a few years now, it seemed to be doing well until recently so I assumed I was taking care of it reasonably well. When I bought it it had white flowers, but it hasn't flowered in a long time. I've repotted it twice since then, once when it had outgrown its pot and the second time was around july when it started turning brown and I thought the soil was too damp. Now I water only when the soil dries out, but it is still turning brown and dropping leaves. I keep it in an east-facing living room where it gets moderate indirect sunlight in the morning. Please help ID it so I can figure out what's upsetting it.
    Thanks alot :)

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Spathiphyllum is my guess.
    Do you use straight tap water? Might be affected by chemicals therein.
    Hey, aroid folk...what say you?

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

definitely an aroid. probably a spath as togata says. possibly an anthurium. pics are a little dark - leaves look right for spath...some anthurium are not the 'usual' leaf shape, so, there's an off chance it's one of them.

they need consistantly moist soil - not totally soggy, just moist. so, up the watering and keep the soil just on the wettish side - you should see an improvement shortly hopefully.

too dry repeatedly over a period of time does eventually affect the roots and the plant will die...hopefully, it's not gotten to that point yet and it'll rebound!

4. nanso

nanso Member

Right! I think it's a spath, searched for pictures and I think that's what it is - same flowers and leaves.
    OK, I'll water more frequently - thanks alot :)