Identification: please help me ID 2 plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by riptidefrog, Mar 2, 2007.

1. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

I hope someone can help me identify two plants that i just recently bought from Walmart. I do not have a digital camera and havnt been able to identify any plants online that resemble it.
    The first plant was bought in a 4" pot and has very dark green leaves that are so deeply lobed that every leaf appears to be 3 leaves. To an untrained eye it might resemble a 3 lobed marjuana leaf (its the closest thing i could think of). Each of these leaflets/lobes is about 0.5 " wide and about 3" long, coarsely toothed and each of the central veins on each leaflet is tinged red. The leaflets join at a petiole that is white with flecks of dark brown/black. the leaves are arranged alternately and the stem is round and dark. The plant is about 7" tall right now but i have seen this plant alot bigger, maybe a few feet high.
    I think the other plant is a fern. i bought it in a hanging pot and it has leaves that are about 3-7 lobed with smooth edges and rounded tips. The leaves are about 3" wide and 5" long, medium to light green and stand about 8-12 inches from the base of the plant. The unfolding fronds have a scattering of hairs that are not present on the older fronds. the base also has some rough looking hairs at the edges. the fronds do not come out of a central point like they do on ferns like the boston fern but seem to be coming out of this base in a manner that i am not accustomed to.
    I originally thought that this might be a rabbit foot fern but the pictures online that i have seen show foilage that is lacy and these leaves are definetly not that.

I hope someone can help me because i really dont have any idea how to take care of these plants.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :-)

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

the first plant would be a Dizygotheca elegantissima , its a relatively easy plant to care for, the secong is probably a type of fern.

3. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

a pic would help a lot, and what part of the usa are you in? store generally sell plants according to area,but then again maybe not,lol

4. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Thanks so much. I do think that the first one is a Dizygotheca elegantissima now that i have seen photos of it. Hopefully the plant can stand the low light levels of my apt.
    As for what part of the USA i'm from, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the city of Marquette. Not reallly sure what the zone is here but it does get fairly cold here despite the moderating effect of Lake Superior.
    I really have no way of posting a pic of these plants, sorry :(