please help identify 2 ferns...?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Eyeris, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Eyeris

Eyeris Active Member

I'm trying to identify / save this garden at a new house. Can anyone identify these two ferns...or evergreen type bushes...?
    Also, what is the best way to help the brown dead looking one back to health ..or does it appear to be too late??
    Thanks!

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Evergreen shrubs
    Chamaecyparis pisifera (left)
    possibly Juniperus on right

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

The photo is a bit overexposed or something and I can't tell for sure that the plant on the right is brown - but if it is, then its alive/dead status depends on whether it is also crispy. Some evergreens have a brownish colouration in winter. If it is crispy or if it hasn't greened up by June I'd say it's a goner.

The one on the left, the Chamea pisifera or I think the common name is goldthread cypress, looks like it could use a little more TLC - is it maybe growing in too much shade? Also, if the plant next to it died, it is possible that soil quality/water are inadequate.

4. Eyeris

Eyeris Active Member

Thanks for the identification. This garden Has been VERY neglected, so I'm in the process of sorting through it and getting rid of overgrown areas, dead plants ect....I'll have to want a little longer to see what happens once we are a little further into the season....thanks for the advice.
    E.