Identification: please help id.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hailey1925, Jun 29, 2007.

1. hailey1925

hailey1925 Member

I would like to know what this is, how often it should be watered and how I can make more of them. When I first got it about a year ago it was all trimmed in pink. Now it hardly has any pink left, and I'm not sure why. It sits near a window that has morning sun, I water it about once a week/week and a half.
    Thanks for your help in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Hoya carnosa 'Variegata', Variegated Wax Plant. Loss of variegation could be due to insufficient light.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I would also change pots there .. that looks like it dont have enough drainage.. dont go to a bigger pot .. just one the same size that has good drainage .. they do like to be on the dryer side..before watering .. they also do like alot of sun and will with age produce beautifull flowers.. google the plant and you will see the flowers..

Marn

4. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

Another name for it would be Hoya Krimson Queen. They like to get quite dry before watering, and grow and flower best in a small pot. If that is just one single stem like it looks, it shouldn't be in any bigger then a 3 or 4 inch pot. They won't flower until they are completely rootbound. I've also recently heard that to keep the variegation on these you have to keep them from getting too much light. Which is kind of different from most plants. I have two and keep them out of direct light and they are still pink, white, and green like they are supposed to be.

hope that helps