Identification: Please Help ID 'fungus'

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by lajamc, Jul 22, 2006.

1. lajamc

lajamc Member

Hello. I am new to this site, but am looking for help. For a week or so, I have been noticing bright yellow largish, irregularly shaped 'globs' appearing in my garden, on top of my mulch. They turn brownish fairly quickly, and seem to dry up. I thought they were some sort of dropping from a tree (Elm) or an animal, but there is a new one under an eave, engulfing my garden hose! where the the tree couldn't reach.

My neighbor came over and touched one w/ his foot and it immediately disintegrated into a dark brownish dust. ANy idea what it could be and how I can get rid of it? I have 3 young children and am worried that it could harm them. Thanks for any help you might offer. I will try to post a picture.
    Thanks for your help!
    La

Attached Files:

2. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

=dog vomit slime mold i.e. not a fungus (different kingdom)
    Harmless, difficult to get rid off. There have been lots of references/pictures/links to this slime mold on this forum - it's fascinating stuff! I'm still intrigued by the red slime mold picture recently, has anyone identified it ? ingrid

4. elinor

elinor Member

Iajamc- With the help of this forum, I too was able to identify this very odd looking substance in my garden... it's certainly strikes chords of fear due to its very bizarre and fast-forming nature. If I had read your question first before posting my own, I would have known what it was right away...

elinor