Please Don't Let My Mother In-Law Be Correct

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nagamzor, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Nagamzor

Nagamzor New Member

Hello everyone.

This started growing in my garden early on.

From it's location I figured it was a "volunteer" tomato or possibly pepper plant that I intentionally planted last fall in the hopes of getting volunteer plants as this seems to usually work when I crush the fruits and bury the seeds (in the fall). I was all excited about it. My mother in-law thinks it is a weed and the more I look at it, the more it doesn't look like any other tomato plants or peppers we have.

I've been googling this for hours and using all sorts of apps and cannot find anything that looks the same.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with identification, and that it is not a weed or something else. My mother in-law will laugh and say "told you so," and I might not be #1 son in-law after that embarrassment. I really hope she isn't correct. I named my son after the father in-law to move into #1 son in-law position.

I took this photo this morning before leaving for work so it is currently all I have.

I live in Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, Canada.

The plant is about 1.5 to 2 feet tall right now.

Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Difficult to tell from one shot of the foliage, but as it appears that it will soon be in flower, you'll then have a far better chance of finding out. Wait till it blooms, post a photo, and I'm sure you'll get an answer pretty quickly.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here's a strategy for you, keeping in mind that a weed is simply a plant growing where you don't want it. Whatever the plant turns out to be, you have to pretend to your mother-in-law that you really like it and really want it growing in your garden (if only temporarily). Then it's not a weed, right? After that, you have a good chance of being #1 son-in-law which, it sounds to me, you already are.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a member of the mint family (which does contain what some might call weeds, though this one doesn't look like any of the common ones). What does a crushed leaf smell like?