Plants Found in Garbage

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mollykemp, Jan 25, 2010.

1. mollykemp

mollykemp Member

So today was garbage day, and I noticed sitting in front of my new neighbor's bins were all these plants. I went on an investigation. She said her mom works at a plant nursery and gives her lots plants. She doesn't really care for plants but keeps them until they start to look "ugly" then throws them out! Yikes. So she said I could have them. Now, here I am with all these plants, most of which I don't know anything about, that are mostly sickly looking.

So, there are three things I need from the plants below:
    1. What is it?
    2. How do I make it better?
    3. How do I keep it properly once it is better?

Plant A
    In a plastic hanging pot with drainage hole.
    Unknown Plant A 01.jpg Unknown Plant A 02.jpg

Plant B
    In a plastic hanging pot with drainage hole.
    Unknown Plant B 01.jpg Unknown Plant B 02.jpg Unknown Plant B 03.jpg Unknown Plant B 04.jpg

Plant C
    There are also two of these planted in the same pot as Plant B, but they don't look as bad as these. In a plastic pot without a drainage hole.
    Unknown Plant C 01.jpg Unknown Plant C 02.jpg Unknown Plant C 03.jpg Unknown Plant C 04.jpg

Plant D - Dracaena Massangeana
    There is a tag on the plant. But I have never had one before *and don't* know how to make it better. In a plastic hanging pot with drainage hole.
    Dracaena Massangeana 01-25-10.jpg

Plant E - Hens & Chicks
    Again, a tag on the plant. One looks healthy (the blurry one) and one looks sick. The others are dead and I picked them off. They are about the size of a dime.
    Hen & Chick 01.jpg Hen & Chick 02.jpg

Plant F - Spider Plant(?)
    Overall they look healthy, except the ends are browning and drying up. I circled what I mean in the pictures.
    Spider Plant 01.jpg

Plants E & F are in this pot. The spider plant is on top and the chicks are in the side holes. The pot is plastic and has drainage holes.
    Pot.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Plant A is two plants, actually. My best guess for them is a Dieffenbachia on the left and either a Philodendron or an Epipremnium (Pothos) on the right; the poor muffins! It looks like they've been waterlogged and left in a too-bright location. Check to see whether they're mooshy at all - if they're at all firm, you've got a chance of saving them by repotting them into a loose, free-draining medium (at least 50% peat, bark, and charcoal, like what is used for orchids) then water them lightly and keep them in a fairly shady or indirect-light situation. If there's only partial mooshiness, cut off those parts, dust the remainder with cinnamon, and repot as advised.

Plant B might be another Dieffenbachia, or it might be an Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) - I'm surprised it's doing as poorly as it is, given that both genera are notoriously hard to kill. It's definitely waterlogged and needs repotting as advised for Plant A.

I'm not sure about your other NOID, but everything you have has been overwatered and drowned. Repotting into containers with drainage is a must.

3. mollykemp

mollykemp Member

Ok, so in "Plant A", the one on the right is slightly mushy, but only on the stem that doesn't have a leaf! So, I will cut it off. The rest are mush free! I don't have any of the stuff you mentioned above, so I will have to buy it tomorrow.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you're getting discards from a nursery, be careful, they might have been discarded because of disease or pest infestations, that could then spread on to the rest of your plants . . .

5. mollykemp

mollykemp Member

I don't think they are discards. She said she had these for a bit. But, I could be wrong on the discards part.