British Columbia: Planting summer bulbs in Vancouver - start indoors or plant outside

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Arvind, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Arvind

Arvind Member

I recently purchased some Dahlia, Calla Lily, Canna and Gladiolus bulbs. The weather in Vancouver has been warmer than usual, and I am trying to decide the best way to plant these bulbs - start them indoors and transplant or plant directly outside. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. are these bulbs likely to naturalize in Vancouver?

2. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I'm a bit west of you and about 2-3 degress C. cooler. My garden therometer says that my soil at 3" deep is about one degree.

That means that all of my Asiatic lilies, glads and calla lilies are sitting in hibernation just in the wait mode. Don't plant the dhalias yet for sure and, actually there is no benefit to the others to get them in the soil yet. Just wait and plan your planting until the soil at a fingers depth has some warmth and then plant your bulbs/tubers.

The lilies and glads will survive our winters quite nicely, so pick a spot that you want them for years. I lost all of my dhalias last winter but, they were no prize winners anyway. The glads can be picked up in the fall and stored in dry sand or peat, if you want to change your location but, I have found that the lillies slow down if I remove and replant them.