Planting near treated wood fence

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by CherylB, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CherylB

CherylB New Member

Hi! My neighbours and I just replaced a treated wood fence with cedar, but the retaining wall under it and the posts are treated wood. I was planning to plant fruit trees along the fence. Is it worth having the soil tested and probably replaced, or will it just continue to get contaminated? Should I spend the time and money on testing or just plant somewhere else? Thanks!

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Down here across the border in Washington State, we had a change in requirements for treated wood 15 or 20 years ago. So we can look back and say 'if the treated was installed after this date then it is not near as much of a concern'. Did you guys in B.C. have something similar about that time?

Is the retaining wall close enough that the canopy of the trees will extend out over over the treated wood?

3. CherylB

CherylB New Member

Thanks for the information that older wood is more of a concern. I will find out what it is likely to be treated with here in BC. I was planning to plant right up against the fence and espalier the trees. There is only a small strip of soil. It is one of the few places in my shady yard with enough sun.