Plant Research Ideas

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by JustAStudent, May 7, 2009.

1. JustAStudent

JustAStudent Member

Hello,

I am a high school student and I am needing some ideas on possible topics for plant research. The assignment is specific that I have to conduct an experiment and create a 4000-word (approximately) report/research on it. I've done some research in areas of botany, and those that interest me most are:

- Plant hormones (Gibberellins)​
    - Plant pathology​
    - Phototropism​

I'm ambitious to do a complex, specific experiment, however, I am limited by the supplies I am able to obtain and the equipment I have access to within my school. I have all summer to conduct an experiment, so time is not an essential component of this experiment. Since this is a biological report, I am advised not to go too far into other areas of science (e.g. biochemistry). If anyone can give me some advice or direction in this, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello,

You may find studying the Arbutus menziesii in West Vancouver, as it seems to be in a state of decline from various factors?

3. JustAStudent

JustAStudent Member

Oh I just looked it up and it seems very interesting! I will propose it to my instructor. The only problem I see is that it will be almost entirely based on secondary data? Thanks.

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

JustAStudent,
    Vancouver, which? Washinton? Island? City?
    If City, make an appointment to go see the folks that operate this web site at UBC. You have a great opportunity to "get aquainted" with, and to learn from some facinating, knowledgeable people.
    barb

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Your request for ideas reminded me of the question I posed in [thread=9845]this[/thread] (unanswered) thread. For example. A poinsettia requires a number of hours in darkness to initiate 'flowering'. Would this period be interrupted by light of different colors?