plant problem PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by andrew_k, Oct 13, 2006.

1. andrew_k

andrew_k Member

hi, i am new to the site, and to growing plants. im hoping you can help me out.

i am growing a water melon plant inside my house, and its october right now. the seed has germinated and the seedling is about 4cm tall. i recently transplanted it into darker soil, and this is where the problem comes.

everything was fine, but a few days ago i noticed it was turing brown on the edges of the 2 sprout leaves. the leaves seem to be a faint greenish yellow, and one leaf is
    badly wilting.

i am not sure if this is the right section to post in, please help me out i dont want it to die. i will post pictures if you would like to see. thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You'll need quite warm and bright conditions to keep this going indoors during winter. Your plant may have gotten too cold and be infected with a bacterial or fungal problem.

3. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

Did you possibly damage the roots when transplanting?

You should be growing it in a south facing window if you intend to grow inside. Better to start in the spring. It may be a challenge indoors if it gets too big.

4. andrew_k

andrew_k Member

i am using a lamp most of the time to give it some more light and keep it warm. also i painted black stripes around a makeshift greenhouse dome so it can get a little extra heat. is there anyway i can help my plant get healthy again?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  5. andrew_k

andrew_k Member

i might have damaged the roots while transplanting. if this is the case will it be able to grow back to normal health under good conditions?
    also if it does get growing again, could i trim it to keep the plant a bit smaller?

6. andrew_k

andrew_k Member

here is what it looks like..

Attached Files:

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The seed leaves don't last forever. It looks fairly normal to me, and I'd not be worried about it since the adult leaves are emerging and growing.