Identification: Plant IDs at Burnaby Discovery Park

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by rootbboy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Hi, I need help Id'ing some of the plants I've seen in Discovery Park (beside the EA Sports, not the Burnaby Mountain one).

The first is hard hack possibly? The leaves look a bit different though I think? This one is quite tall, 6 feet maybe.

The second plant looks like False Solomon's Seal, but there was only one berry on each of the stems?! The pictures I've googled all show bunches of berries, or berries which are different color(this one is pure cream white!)

The last is a tree, red berries...sorry, the last close up is blurry, but maybe you can see the leaves..><
    Help, please!!

I've got ahold of the Forest Manager and he said that the declinging Big Leaf Maple forest includes Salal, nootka rose, Bitter Cherry, Vine Maple, Beaked Hazelnut, Oregon Grape, Indian Plum, thimbleberry, Trillium ovatum, Spiny Wood fern, Salmon Berry..
    I've seen lots of Sword Fern, Canada Mayflower and Western Bleeding Heart myself, and Stachys chamisonis var. cooleyae!!
    if anyone was interested, though I can't seem to find the trillium. Guess I have to keep hiking^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

First one is Spiraea douglasii.

Last is Red-berried Elder Sambucus racemosa.

Most Trillium are spring-flowering plants, maybe it has died down for the summer now?

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Trilliums are spring flowering so they will be starting to die down now but should still be seen because they would still be holding the seed pods.......so its entirely possible there are none to be found in the area, or you just have not found them yet (most of my large "patch" of trillium ovatum are still green and have not released the seeds yet).
    FYI, in the 35 plus years this patch has been growing (from 1 plant I rescued) and expanding I have noticed they are flowering later; they used to flower in March, now they flower in May. I have also noticed this in wild trilliums I have come across......environmental changes?

4. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Thanks for your help, I'll keep searching for the trilliums. Does anybody know what the second plant is? It may be an exotic, I honestly have no idea but I thought it looked 'pacific northwesterny' haha. It's growing in the shade of larger trees in a woodland environment..

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Disporum hookeri or relation.

6. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Thanks Ron!!
    :)
    And there are new buds on both willow trees..I think they will survive!!