Plant Ident + Help Much Appreciated

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pwk, Apr 11, 2008.

1. pwk

pwk Active Member

Hey guys,
    I'm wondering if someone can help me out with some of my plants?...

(#1) My lychee tree is grown from seed, about 2 years old, and has been doing well, other than the tips of its leaves which have always been brown. Could this be from the cold? (Toronto's climate isn't much like China's!), or should I be worried? Is there any way to fix this?

(#2) I'd actually assumed this ornamental pepper was dead, until my boyfriend pointed out new blossoms on it. No idea how it managed to bloom despite my treating it as departed the entire winter, but is there anything I can do to help it along? Also can anyone give me an official name for this plant?

(#3) Here's the big issue. My poor unidentified cactus was beginning to rot. Internet research told me to cut out the rotten bits. When I went in for the surgery, however, I found that it was neither rotting from top-bottom or bottom-top, rather right out from a midway point.... The roots seemed fine, still held the earth and were firm, and the top is still it's handsome shade of green, so I cut out only the rotten bits. I'm worried I did the wrong thing. The wound is dried up now, but the flesh around it is beginning to sag. Could this simply be structural? Did I jump the gun? I've been thinking maybe i should just chop him in half, discard the problem mid-section, and try to revive the two halves. Please let me know what you think my best option here is.

I really appreciate all your help. You guys are awesome, I'm so happy I finally joined up here.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i'd do a straight cut on the cactus and give it a level base to start new roots from. let it dry out for a week or so and then plant. don't water for at least two weeks - let it get situated in the soil first.

can't help with the other two.

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

The second pic is some var of Capsicum annuum , not sure of the variety. It looks near dead, the soil looks to be SOAKED. Chilis like a dried out soil in between waterings, wet roots encourage discease, root rot, and in many chili vars - nasty tasting chilis.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The lychee might be getting overwatered too - that's glazed ceramic, which holds water. Does the pot have any drainage holes? Regardless, the soil should be dry when you stick your finger in it, before you give that plant any more water.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hmm. i didn't even look at the soil!

the cactus needs to be in cactus soil - preferably cactus soil mixed with small stones. and it should be very, very dry before watering again!! and the pot should have drainage holes as well. actually, unglazed clay is the preferred type for cacti.

6. pwk

pwk Active Member

Thanks guys. I've only recently started taking the care of my plants seriously. I'm hoping to repot everything soon, and I've actually been looking for cactus soil and some other compounds for a while, but I can't seem to find a place within walking distance of my home in downtown montreal. Either way, I'm moving back to Toronto sometime at the beginning of May, and I probably want to keep all my re-planting until I move. Wow. That was drawn out, haha. Also I'll try to keep the watering down. I guess I've just been a little over zealous, especially since my coffee plant randomly decided to dry up to a crisp over the course of a couple of days (but hey, that's for my next post :). (I'm thinking now perhaps it was root rot due to OVERWATERING ><. ) (okay, I'll stop.))

ANYWAYS. I really appreciate the help. I'll go easier on the watering. Other than cactus soil, can anyone suggest something for the lychee? I've heard they like good drainage, to be humid while avoiding water-logging at all costs. Also all my pots have drainage holes.

7. pwk

pwk Active Member

Also about the chilli - honestly, I thought it was dead, and have thought thus for a couple of months now... It was never in great condition (I like to buy sickly plants and do my best at nursing them back to health). Also it used to be by an open window, so I assumed it couldn't take the cold and died. Just yesterday my boyfriend pointed out new blossoms. Weirdddd. No idea how it survived all these months without any attention. It's an inedible plant, strictly ornamental, and sometimes comes with purple fruit, if that helps your ident. I'm looking forward to seeing it get better.

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like a Bolivian Rainbow Chili, and those we eat down here.