Identification: Plant ID

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by fortylove, May 1, 2014.

1. fortylove

fortylove New Member

Found this plant near entrance to Buntzen Lake, near a small ditch. Last year I saw signs in this area re: toxic plants - I'm wondering if this is Giant Hogweed or something else toxic ?

From the photos I've seen, it doesn't look like giant hogweed, but the photos show large plants; I'm just thinking maybe this is a small giant hogweed ??

Thanks,

First image is from today
    Second image was from Apr 21 (looked healthier)

Bob.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello

Looks like it is a member of the asteraceae from the fuzzy flower heads

Check butterbur latin name petasites

3. fortylove

fortylove New Member

I checked butterbur - My plant doesn't have the large leaves, like what I see in google images.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Give it one month.

5. fortylove

fortylove New Member

Sure Will.

Is the fact that the flowers have a brownish tinge now rather than a white colour from 2 weeks ago of any consequence ?

To an untrained eye, the plant doesn't look as healthy; however, maybe its a natural metamorphosis to its next stage in development.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The inflorescences were (probably) pollinated and are just senescing / aging now.

Might have been a bit too brief with my earlier comment. With this group, the flowering stalks emerge in the early spring (among the earliest of spring flowers), while the large leaves form the main body of the plant in the late spring / early summer.