Identification: Plant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rockminer, Dec 16, 2006.

1. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I was just given an anonymous cutting from a large mature plant (it trails about 4 feet from pot to floor). What I got were two joined segments. After a search of my reference books and a lot of frustration on the net I am still stymied. The cutting is set about 1/4 inch into the succulent mix and is totally supported by the stake. Since I don't know what it is I am not sure if I am doing the best thing to get it rooted. I am using Indole-3-butyric acid .10% rooting hormone. Thank you for your help and any advice. I'm a novice so even the simplest information will be welcome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It reminds me of Euphorbia, but that's little help.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There is a euphorbia that looks like this, I thought of that genus also but was not sure about the hairiness at the tip though.

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Two questions: how many angles does the stem have? and does it bleed milky sap if you prick it with a pin? (if it doesn't then it's not a Euphorbia).

5. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

There are four flutes on each joint. The sap is clear. I spent all afternoon researching euphorbia with no joy. Learned a bunch of neat stuff though!

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

I think it may be Cissus quadrangularis

7. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Thank you TonyR! Without the tendrils, leaves and flowers I would never have looked at Vitaceae. A grape?--Love this hobby--and medicinal as well!!!