British Columbia: Plant ID request

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

A member of my garden club would like to know what this plant may be . . . 3 such plants have shown up in her garden this year. She says it has a huge white flowers that bloom for only one day.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Datura stramonium.

Caution: toxic.

3. Margot

Thanks so much!

4. Margot

Here is a photo of the plant, blooming today. The flower does look like Datura but the leaf is different from Datura stramonium. Could it be D. inoxia?

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Perhaps Datura wrightii?

6. Margot

When I looked up Datura wrightii just now, I was interested to read that it is --

Sometimes Confused With
    • Datura stramonium: corolla 7-10 cm long, calyx 3-5 cm long and with evident angles sometimes projected into wing-margins, and capsules erect(vs. D. wrightii, with corolla 20-24 cm long, calyx 5-15 cm long and without evident angles, and capsules +/- nodding).
    • Datura inoxia: corolla 16-20 cm long, with 5 primary apical teeth alternating with 5 secondary apical teeth, entirely white (vs. D. wrightii, with corolla 20-24 cm long, with only 5 apical teeth, white or with a pale purple limb).
    I will send this information to my garden club friend so she can figure out whether her plant is Datura inoxia or D. wrightii. (D. stramonium has already been ruled out because the leaf is different.)

Thanks for all the help.

( Datura wrightii (sacred thorn-apple): Go Botany )

7. Margot

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

9. Margot

Sorry, I'm not sure which question you're referring to . . . my main question was to ask the plant's identity and it looks like Datura wrightii is probably correct.

I don't know what a BPotD is.

As for native plants not being invasive, I have to disagree. I've gone out of my way for over 40 years to incorporate as many native plants in my garden as possible and I could give you a long list of BC native plants that are very invasive in residential gardens.

10. wcutler

Whether you should take the seeds.
    BPotD is Botany Photo of the Day. The link is there to the article.
    Native plants can be bad-mannered, but I don't think you're allowed to call them invasive if it's their home territory.

11. Margot

Mmm. I guess I'll have to come up with a synonym for 'invasive' that's not too pejorative. 'Aggressive'? 'Fast-growing'? 'Strong-growing'? 'Native thugs?'

David Pearman of the Botanical Society of the British Isles first coined the phrase “native thugs” in 2004 to describe certain native plants in Britain whose impacts are possibly worse than alien invasives.

Obviously, in our own gardens, we are allowed to call any plants we dislike 'weeds' or 'invasive'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
    wcutler likes this.
  12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If I may respectfully disagree (and agree)? There are indeed native plants that are considered invasive--but these are relatively rare, often being along the lines of "Native to Australia, specifically Western Australia, but invasive where they did not previously occur in New South Wales".

Invasive to me implies an something having an impact on a natural (or close-to-natural) ecosystem. When plants in gardening situations are bullies, I prefer the term "aggressive" -- and there are indeed many aggressive native plants in gardening situations.

wcutler likes this.
  13. wcutler