Plant from UBC

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Daniel Mosquin, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello,

I am trying to find out the name of the middle plant. We bought it at the UBC Botanical Garden's shop in early July and are amazed at the unique style it has.

The lady at the shop told us it was a "Chinese Chin Hair" but I can't find that name anywhere in the plants on-line. Would you be able to identify it for me and provide any info on this plant. The seed has doubled the size from the photo in a short period of time.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

That common name for the plant is baffling - I've not been able to find any source for it, although I'm fairly certain it exists.

Anyway, the plant is an Arisaema. However, I don't know the species. I'm going to ask one of our volunteers who is an expert on Arisaema to provide some input.

3. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It would appear to be Arisaema ciliatum perhaps var. liubaense

4. PlantExplorer

PlantExplorer Active Member 10 Years

Arisaema consanguineum

Since UBC was promoting Arisaema consanguineum Schott. at the VanDusen show this summer, I have a sneaking suspicion that that is the name of this one. The filiform apex of the leaflets (the long stringy leaf tips) may have been the source of that odd ‘common’ name, since Chinese scholars were sometimes portrayed with thin wispy beards.

I also think that it’s A. consanguineum because of the fruit cluster hanging down, which is typical of this species. This plant is a prize, and well worth giving a place of honour in your garden. Plant it in good garden soil in sun to part shade. It is hardy to Zone 7, and has proven hardy in Southern Coastal BC gardens. Just watch out for slugs and cutworms! It is native to the Eastern Himalayas to Hubei in Central China.

The composite image here is of a clump growing and thriving at the UBC Botanical Garden early this summer.

Attached Files: