Plan my yard! LONG and Album inside

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Angel3167, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

Alright I need some serious help! My yard has been very neglected since before we moved in. I want to give it a revamp and love it deserves! I am looking for very low maintenence plants as I know I have a tendency to get bored and busy.
    I live in the Springfield Oregon area and was thinking native plants. We are hoping to put in a Big Leaf (Oregon) Maple in the mid back yard to help give some shade. I was also thinking of planting a trumpet vine up the back fence for the humming birds. It's a big fence so I could probably do a variety of climbing plants. I have some maples (I think) on the side of my house that I need to learn how to protect from any more damage of cat scratching. We have a feral/stray cat colony that live here and while they make yard work more challenging (landmines anyone?) they keep new cats from entering my yard. There is a Rhodie in the front that I think needs to be taken out as it has gotten very dead. Any tips on NOT spreading the disease to other healthy ones? The yard is edged with bark'o'mulch over grown by weeds. I am wondering if there is a nice groundcover I should plant instead of re mulching?
    On the side yard we plan on making raised beds for vegi's and putting a box by the fence for more plants too. We are planning on putting a small fence across from the house to the side fence to block it off from our little one (helps me supervise without being on top of her). We will also be putting a fence around the pond.
    The front yard has been re mulched which really helped update it. We just have to "fix" that rhodie.
    Here is the album to it all! Please please please help! Our yard makes us bummed out. I really want it to be a space we can enjoy and not feel like we are slaves to it. Thanks!

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can't help with your yard as such as I don't know your climate however I think the rhodo would be fine. Just prune the dead branch off. Mine have been suffering from dryness (drought) and a few have shut a branch or two off. I just pruned them mulched some more hoped we would get some good rain and finaly yes we have some and they are re sprouting.
    The following archives might give you some ideas too. There are plans and ideas to look at.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/blitz-factsheets.php

Liz

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

trimming off the dead part of the rhody is about all you really need to do for it - otherwise it's fine.

on looking at your pics, i would suggest moving the rhody away from the front door as it completely overpowers the area - from the street view as well as when you're walking up the pathway to the door. i'd move the rhody over to the side and put in front of the fence (centered in the area and you can plant some bulbs or small flowering plants on either side.

i wouldn't fence in the front yard either.

other than that initial impression, we need some more info before being able to make suggestions. what is your zone? what is the condition of the soil? what kind of sunlight do you get in the different areas? especially the back yard as the fence will affect light levels in some spots.

also, is there anything in particular that you DO want to incorporate and is there anything in particular that you DO NOT want?? is your preference for flowers or greenery/shrubs? or a mix of both? do you have a color preference with regard to flowers?

going native is a great idea and low-maintenance perennials is also a good idea. just walking around your neighborhood will give you a good idea of what does well in your area and will give you some ideas on what you want to do with your yards.

you have a great area with a ton of potential! pretty much a blank slate :) it's so easy to go overboard, so i suggest doing lots of research over the winter about different plants and then just doing one or two small areas in the spring and then, each year, adding on to what you've started and getting a new bed or two started.

as you gain experience and are exposed to more plants, you'll develop likes/dislikes and you'll end up changing your initial plans a bit. gardens are an ongoing thing and are never quite 'done'. there's no rush to get it all done in one season!

4. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

OK so we won't take out the whole Rhodie just part of it. It's kind of nice having them in front of the window so we don't have the neighbor kids looking in our house.

I looked up my zone and it said zone 8. The soil is horrible to dig in, LOTS of rocks, and a mod amount of clay. Our yard get's a lot of sun most of the time. The back fence shades prob about a foot away from itself. I know the side yard gets a little more shade after the sun has moved in late afternoon.

I want to make my garden easy (is that possible). I have started clipping out pics of flowers and plants I liked I saw in the magazines I had. I want plants that are strong and will be good for the hummingbirds and butterflies. I think a mix up of greenery and flowers is fine. My DH doesn't really like shrubs too much unless they have pretty flowers on them (he tries to get rid of the Azalea every winter because he forgets it flowers). No color preference really just pretty. The pics I really seemed to like were some Helebornes, Hibiscus, and Peonies. Those seem more like the grand statement type of flowers though. I also like those really striking purple Clematis's. Maybe a hummingbird bush and honey suckle up the back fence?

I guess I just feel rushed because I am expecting another little one and my current little one has just gotten a little easier to handle, so I want it to be nice before the new baby comes. Also I have the motivation to do it now (if only there was the money lol). I long to have a pretty yard, I wish learning didn't take so long lol!

Thanks again!

5. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

anyone else want to play plan my yard?

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Angel start with something useful like building some vegetable boxes and maybe getting some soil in. A covered sand pit for the young one. This is so you don't loose interest and have some where small and compact to get started. I would also advise not getting too involved with exotics if your soil is not so wonderful. Start with your native plants get them going then fill in with the more difficult things to grow as you build your soil. Have a look at other gardens check the internet get some ideas but start small if you are unsure of how to.

http://www.foodforeveryone.org/faq/index.php

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/design/raised-vegetable-gardens.htm

Liz

7. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

Wow your yard looks a lot like mine did when we moved in, complete with the weirdly cut down tree :) and it's HUGE!!

If it were me, I would want to plant a nice row of trees across the back to hide the building behind you, the cedars will help eventually but something a little taller would be good too, Dogwoods & maples are a nice choice.

A shrub I love is Skimmia Japonica, although not native, it's pretty easy care, evergreen, flowers in the spring and berries in winter. It does like shade though.

If you want to improve and salvage your grass, talk to a lawn care company about power raking, it worked wonders on my badly neglected grass. We power raked then top dressed with top soil and seeded. It amazed me how well the grass came back.

Here's a good website with a big list of plants for your zone
    http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/nativeplants/

8. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

Liz-I do a raised bed every year. This year I did square foot gardening and it didn't do so well. I think I will just wing it like I do every year it always does much better. My little one has a big texture thing and hates sand....weird I know lol.
    Quincy's Slave-Yea the tree is thanks to my husband, but we had a different one before lol.
    Thanks for the idea on the grass. We do want nice lush grass but I'm just happy it's green. DH wants to kill it and reseed it but that seems like a lot of work too and it might not work due to all our pigeons that roam the neighborhood.
    I will be looking into the sites. I will try and post pics once I get some progress done on the whole project.

Would a fence around the small trees be the best way to protect them from cat scratching?

9. design share

design share Member

Attached Files:

10. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

design share- that is so neat! It's hard to picture my yard with that much color lol

11. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

angel, i have some ideas - just haven't had time to write up a post...too busy here. i'll get something up over the weekend.

GREAT pics, design share!!

12. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

:) can't wait for your input joclyn

13. TownMouse

TownMouse Member

Photos reveal that you have a child. I would move that rose from the path to the front door. In my opinion, it is too close to the walkway for safety/comfort reasons. You garden will mature along with the activities of youngsters. Think of Trick-or-Treaters excitedly pushing each other as they approach that front door (ouch!). You say you're Zone 8. If that includes snow and ice, keep in mind shoveling snow _onto_ your planting beds that are close to hardscape. Also, I prefer good mini-blinds for privacy. Your large plants by the front door shield ill-doers from the watchful eyes of neighbors, police patrols, etc. I think more children will use your rhodie for hide-and-seek, than you might desire. Just thoughts from a very protective mom (of blissful years past).

14. Angel3167

Angel3167 Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Yea that rose bush has gotten me a few times but I don't know where to move it and I am afraid I will kill it. It smells wonderful. Fortunatly no real snow happens here and not a lot of ice either...just frost. Now that I think about it I do want to move our rhodies, again I am afraid I will kill them.
    Our yard is still very much on hold but I am collecting all the suggestions I can get. We have #2 on the way so I can't get out and do much. Hopefully soon though.