pixie lilies

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gilldean, Oct 29, 2003.

1. gilldean

gilldean Member

i recently aquired some pixie lilies at the indoor plant sale. they have finished flowering, and the leaves are dying back. i assume that this is normal (?), and was wondering how to care for them over the winter - should they be watered and fed even thought they have no leaves (as on their care instructions), left dry in soil, or even removed from soil and the bulbs stored elsewhere? and will they need a cold period (eg on my apartment balcony) to ensure they flower again next year. they also have some fungus on the soil surface - does this matter??

thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  2. rayc

rayc Member

I am presuming your pixie lilies are liliums & not peace lily or any other type not in the lilium family.

If so then the best way is to plant the lily in the soil & let nature do it's thing. If the plant has lost all it leaves & stems have died down then you can also take the bulbs & plant them in the soil. You can add some bulb food at the time & then sit back & enjoy them again next year.

They must be planted outside where they get a cool period.

3. gilldean

gilldean Member

Thanks for your advice. They are lillium and not peace liles or otherwise!

They are outside on my balcony at the moment in their pots (we have no garden to plant them out in) so I guess that I will leave them there till the spring. Should I water them over the winter, or just start to water them in the spring - the leaves have died completely now.

Cheers!