Identification: Pisew Fall Mushrooms.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by honoryourlife, Jul 2, 2008.

1. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

These are some pictures of some fungus that I found near Pisew Falls, MB, Canada. About 40 minutes away from Thompson, MB. I'm not sure what the names of these mushrooms and would like to know. I found them about a year ago or so. I'm an amateur photographer and love taking macro photos of mushrooms and other fungi.

I would like to know the scientific names and the common names for all of them. Thank you very much. I would like to start a collection of photos and information for the plants, trees, and fungi of Northern Manitoba. It is very hard to find much info on such plants that grow here.

Thanks once again for your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Ryan (Still wandering),

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

For most of these, a photo of the gills would help, which may also provide some spore colour information. Especially useful if you can photo or describe the gill attachment as well. A photo of the base of the mushroom would also be useful, as would knowing whether it is growing on buried wood or not.

#2 “mush04” Looks like the red belt fungus Fomitopsis pinicola
    #5 “mush01” Looks like gemmed puffball, a Lycoperdon species
    #6 “81c6” Hygrophanous cap is distinct, but no way to guess without spore colour, gill characters etc.
    #9 “83b5” Has an inocybe-ish shape, but no way to guess without spore colour, gills etc.

3. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Yeah, hopefully more of the same ones sprout this year and I can take pictures of the gills, etc. I have learned more about fungi since then, so now I know what to look for sort of thing.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I mean to start that with - Lovely photos! Your shots highlight the beauty of these critters in their in-situ spots.
    ... Plus whole views like this are also important to get an idea of the cap vs. stem size, habitat and such.
    cheers,
    frog

5. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Thank you very much.
    I find fungi very interesting to photograph and would like to learn more about them.