Pinus thunbergii 'Angelica's 'Thunderhead'

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by dcsteg, May 28, 2008.

1. dcsteg

dcsteg Active Member 10 Years

I have seen the cultivar name sold both ways: 'Angelica's Thunderhead' or 'Thunderhead'.
    I purchased mine as 'Angelica's Thunderhead'.

According to van Geleren and van Hoey Smith (1996) this cultivar was introduced by John Vermeulen, New Jersey; and Jacobson (1996) states that it was selected by William Devine of Angelica nursery of Kennedyville, Maryland.

(Distinctive
    characteristics.) Named for it's long clusters of silver-white buds that develop during the spring, Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' is a beautiful specimen in any garden setting. The needles are a dark green color, heavy in texture and are very plentiful. This dwarf has a broad habit growing to about 5' wide by 4' high in ten to fifteen years.
    As with most Pinus thunbergii it is hardy to Zone 5 although the needles could burn at temperatures of -10? to -15? F. Especially vulnerable during times of wide and rapid temperature fluctuation. If possible winter protection from the effects of wind chill could greatly increase your odds on having this specimen in your garden.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Thanks Dave,
    Those candles are unbelievable !
    I'm noticing a big difference between the part of the plant that was under snow during winter, versus the part that was exposed above the snow.
    Some recovery, but pretty slow-going.....

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Not that small here in the Pacific NW. Here it can grow 8"-10" per year if not candle pruned. Our 14 year old plant was 7' tall and nearly 10' wide until snow load 2 winters ago reduced its size :( .