Pink Lady or Crips Pink? source needed too!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by 2annbrow, Nov 7, 2009.

1. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Saw some discussion on Pink Lady on another thread, which is absolutely my favorite eating apple! Lately haven't been able to find anything but Crips Pink, which the fruit stocker "assured" me is "the same thing!" I don't think so . . .
    Anyway, I'd like to know if it is or not. I'd also like to know if anybody has experience of growing this particular apple this close to the Oregon coast. I really want to try, but can't find it online or at local nurseries. To make it worse, I really need a dwarf or semi-dwarf; can't trust my knees on a ladder anymore, and can't hire a pruner. [Seems most "professional" pruners in the area don't know their appetites from their elbows; no offense meant if any are reading, it's just my experience so far.]
    If anyone has relevant info, I'd like to hear it. Thanks in advance!

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Google "pink lady" and "cripps pink". You'll find lots of information; apparently they are the same apple. Also, this variety needs hot weather; so you will probably not be very successful with it on the coast. I also like this variety, but I wouldn't try growing it here in Vancouver, BC.