Pink Lady in June

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by gilnv, Jun 14, 2009.

1. gilnv

gilnv Member

On the edge of my house's clearing in a Maple, Yellow Birch, and Hemlock forest near Lake Superior it is always a surprise to see a weird wildflower surviving the winters to appear when things warm up.
    This Pink Ladyslipper (Cypripedium acaule) and two others were under a small Hemlock tree with a few Starflowers (Trientalis borealis) nearby.
    Have a nice summer, Gil

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for sharing your lovely Cypripedium with us, gilnv! Gorgeous. I see the starflower...remember these from summer vac. days in southern NH.

Welcome to the Forum!

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes , welcome Gil, you may find this forum and its threads interesting and helpful to get around the site www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4 or maybe you've already checked it out. Thanks for including the plants growing conditions and companion plants ,too. Have a plant in a pot that keeps multiplying, but would rather it was in the ground. Suppose early spring before the leaves emerge might be a safe time to put it in.

4. Peterrr

Peterrr Member

Very interesting plant

5. stephencoughlin

stephencoughlin Member

This is a lovely photo of a lovely flower. Perhaps it is somewhat unsavory, but I cannot help but think that the bottom half of the bloom resembles a human heart.