pink dogwood trees

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by sandy dee, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sandy dee

sandy dee Member

Hi there:
    Does anyone know if a pink dogwood trees leaves curl naturally after flowering is over. Mine has curled under a little and I'm worried it may be sick, to much water, not enough water?????
    Thanks

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

could be from high temperatures or full sun exposure. they can both cause leaf curl, sometimes leaf scorch wil be evident also. any chance of a picture?

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I was photographing dogwood trees in our area last week all over town and in the parks. Sun or shade, the majority have a tendency to look drooped or curled. In fact, that's what made it so hard for me to get a photo of the "opposite" leaf attachment.

4. Definitely a summer phenomenon, they do it during hot and dry conditions. After this recent rainy spell you may see some of them, perhaps including yours, perk up. Otherwise, check soil moisture in root zone by digging a few small, exploratory holes. Give a good soaking if you find dust. Also cover as much of the root zone as you can with a mulch, if it is not already shaded by a mulch or groundcover planting.

5. hel-l-p-p w/ pink dogwood

I have a 7 year old (about 4 feet high) dogwood which has sentimental value to me and it is in decline. It has flowered (the first few years) but not grown more than 2 feet in stature since planting. Normal? Growing conditions are not good here. Unsheltered, clay and stony soil (which I ammend most every year around tree), direct sun and hard cold winters of late. (lower mid-central Michigan). Concentrate efforts to bring acidity growing site via coffee grounds, eggshells, some chemical. Little tree has sustained every problem listed to now which is sadly dying off entire right side of tree. Deer have nibled on it and I think a borer has entered main trunk. Bark peels away easily and oh dear. I have applied a recommended pest killer once. Should I treat it again, bandage or otherwise seal exposed trunk and feed it? Help.

Thank you for your time. Pam