Pines: 4 new world's tallest - Jan. 2011

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by M. D. Vaden, Jan 28, 2011.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

This news coverage is about the 12 Ponderosa pines found in southern Oregon, January, 2011.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Claim-Worlds-tallest-pine-tree-in-Southern-Oregon-114456559.html

8 of them are new records for Ponderosa pine. 4 of them are now the world's tallest pines, of any Pinus species. The tallest is 268.35 feet tall. Or 81.79 meters.

Of various places the story was distributed, that KGW site is one of the more streamlined for reading.

: - )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Intriguing (and congratulations on finding'em)

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I was curious for years about who was behind the conifers.org site. Then last weekend, Chris Earl, who maintains the site, went on an exploration with us in Red Buttes Wilderness. Definitely one who likes trees. The photo below is Earl next to a Red Buttes pine. Not a record pine - but a nice big one. Found out my younger brother "digs" trees too. He came up from Mt. Shasta area. My second "bushwhack" with him.

: - )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011