pineapples

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by amaneser, Jan 30, 2009.

1. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

ok, so i have been reading about planting these things an im confused. 50% say to put it in water till it roots and the other 50% say NO WAY!!!!! Plant in the dirt right away. So what is the bet way to do it. I had 4 tops in water for a couple days. They started to root. Then i took them out after reading a post that said to let them dry out then plant. So are these tops still good or do i need to toss them?

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would think that they would still be fine. Plant them and hope for the best. :)

3. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Thanks alot

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Once planted , they love heat and moisture, you can even place out of doors when temperatures permit it.. in your case much sooner than here in Vancouver.. in two full years, expect a flowering/fruiting Pineapple...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

I planted them today in orchid mix. That is what a thread said to use. I hope they are still good. What temps can i put them outside in. It is 80F in the day and 30F in the nights right now.

6. K Baron

Too early to place outside, they need 64.5F. over night ... think coconut palms, and you get the idea... warm temperatures much like Hawaii, where the temp stays above 65-70 F. overnight at sea level...

7. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Thanks for the help

8. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I had one last year I put outside as soon as it was warm enough. Unfortunately I didn't wean it enough to handle the direct sunlight and heat and it quickly came to its demise. I left it outside for the rest of the summer and didn't water it or anything as it was clearly fried and dead. Later in September I was going to reuse the pot I had it in and when I removed the soil I found that there were 5 baby pineapple shoots growing out the sides of the dead parent. I brought it in a repotted it. After they grew enough to have their own roots I carefully separated them from the main stock. Now I have 5 healthy little ones growing inside.

9. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

10. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

That is tons of info!!! :)

11. K Baron

Blake , great web site... thank you!

12. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

thanks go to all of you

13. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

next time I am going to try to grow a pineapple, that site is really convensing ;) :)