Pineapple lily (eucomis) wintering

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Shuswap Kathy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Shuswap Kathy

Shuswap Kathy Member

I grew eucomis for the first time this year and would like to overwinter the bulbs. I brought them inside (in the pots) about 10 days ago, before frost, but don't know if I should cut the leaves off or let them die back without watering further -- I think I can leave the bulbs in the pots over the winter -- is in the basement okay? My other option would be an unheated garage which will be below freezing for some of the winter.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In Seattle these may live for years outdoors in the ground. If yours aren't shriveling keep them watered and put in bright light, I'm thinking they might want to stay in leaf right through the winter, as hippeastrums (amaryllis) do when not induced into dormancy.

3. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

We grow them in the garden here, but they grow as die-back perennials. My amaryllis stay up all winter, but the Eucomis don't. They are also late risers here, but well worth the wait! Great plants!

4. Shuswap Kathy

Shuswap Kathy Member

Thanks for your info -- I think it gets too cold here in the BC Interior to leave them outside but I will try watering them and see if they will be happy as a house plant for the winter. I thought maybe they needed a period of dormancy in order to have enough energy to bloom again next year.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like it may be usual for them to shrivel and rest. The resting would not be what provided the energy, however, it would be the food stored by the leaves the previous season.