British Columbia: Pineapple Guava (Acca sellowiana)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by feijoalover, Oct 3, 2010.

1. feijoalover

feijoalover Member

Does anyone know where I can purchase / get a pineapple guava (Acca sellowiana) plant in the lower mainland. I love these fruit and wish to grow it in north Vancouver. In the archived forum there were a few threads on this plant so I thought someone on the forum might know where I Can get it. thanks in advance

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

I have seen them for sale in GardenWorks on Lougheed Hwy. in Burnaby. You might want to call them first, though. I got mine from Ray at Tropic 2 Tropic in Tsawassen, but I'm not sure if he still sells anything. If you really can't find anything, I can sell you mine; I don't really want to part with it, but I moved into a townhouse and have a tiny patch to garden in, and if it goes to a better home, maybe that would be for the best.

3. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

By the way, it is sold under Feijoa.

4. feijoalover

feijoalover Member

thanks I will give them a call and let you know how I get on. have you had any luck with fruit i.e with the cold weather? i think in cold weather they might only fruit every couple of years...

5. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

They don't fruit if there has been a very cold winter as the fruit develops on previous year's wood, and they need a hot summer to ripen. I've only had it one year, and have had no fruit. Best to have it in sheltered southern exposure.

6. feijoalover

feijoalover Member

spoke to Garden works they will get more in the spring so I will try them then.

If you want to sell yours to a bigger yard, I am happy to consider that otherwise will hang on until next year. LMK

7. Milano

Milano Member

You can also buy Acca sellowiana, sold as pineapple guava, at Art's Nursery on No. 6 Rd. in Richmond.