Identification: Pine tree identification, San Miguel de Allende

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by dvictor, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dvictor

dvictor Active Member

Can someone help me identify the species of this tree (I know it isn't really a wildflower, but I don't know where else to ask).
    The photo was taken at the end of February in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cypress Family, maybe a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana cultivar - closer view of foliage, with cones would have been good.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm thinking Mexican Cypress Cupressus lusitanica, but as Ron says, it needs a close-up with cones for verification.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When central photo is double clicked appears to have flattened sprays and small cones of Lawson cypress. But these cannot be seen closely or clearly.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Clearly enough to see that the cones are in a typical Cupressus position (set well down the shoot at the base of side shoots), not closer to the spray tips as in Chamaecyparis. And of course, C. lusitanica can have somewhat flattened sprays (and strongly flattened in the closely related Cupressus benthamii, syn. C. lusitanica var. benthamii).

EDIT - it's Mediterranean Cypress Cupressus sempervirens - open mature cone visible in pic #3, toward the upper right. The cones in pic #2 are immature.