Pine Tree for Bonsai

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jwheele1, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jwheele1

jwheele1 Member

I was recently down in Houston and was very impressed with all of the Pine Trees there. I think they are Shortleaf Pines or something, everybody here just calls them East Texas Pines (not very helpful). Well, the generally grow VERY tall and usualy only have branches at the very top. I thought it would be great for Literati style, so I found a baby tree about 10 inches tall and took it home with me. I have it growing in a pot in my house under a grow light for 12 hrs a day and it's doing fine and producing new growth. My question is, I know that pines can't be pruned like a regular tree, so how can I do it? How can I keep it from getting any taller and focus it's energy on the lower limbs? I've been pinching off any new candles or growth at the top of the tree, is that right?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hey,

I’m certainly not a bonsai expert, but first things first: get up and put the tree outside this very moment. It might be small, it might be in a pot, but it’s not a houseplant it’s a tree.

The tree is out side? Good, now I would suggest that you checkout the “links to bonsai resources†in this forum. Search the net and got to a book store/library and go through as many books as you can.

The problem is that at the heart of your question is “how do I do bonsai?†and that question is too big for anyone to answer in a forum post. If I’m not right in this I’m sure the actual experts here will point out how :)

Michael

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Go to www.Evergreengardens.com, look under 'Articles' (and anything else you wish) because you'll find the most comprehensive yet straightforward info on growing pines anywhere. And do keep it outside, don't water til more of the soil than less is dry, and in the sun.

4. jetoney

jetoney Active Member

5. jwheele1

jwheele1 Member

Hey jetoney,

Thanks for that website it is perfect!

And Rima,

Thanks for the evergreen website. That guy's thinking is so different from everything else I have read. I like.

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

He's considered to be one of the most all time knowledgable bonsai guys outside of Japan (and maybe even in!). If you want to know more about pine bonsai though, you have to google Michael Persiano... but only if you can stand the perfection!