Pine needle loss?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I live in Pennsylvania, USA and I bought a 5 foot Japanese white pine this spring (B&B). I planted it and it did very well throughout the summer, even establishing new growth. Now within the last week it has started to loose its needles on the main branches that are connected directly to the trunk. From the connection of the trunk to about 4 inches up the branch the needles are turning brown and falling to the ground. Is this a normal process or is my pine dying?

Similarly, last Christmas I bought a potted Frasier Fir (3 feet tall), only kept it inside for a week, wintered it in my garage, planted it in the spring and it grew beautifully. I have never seen so much new growth on an evergreen in one growing season as I had seen on this tree. Then about 3 weeks ago, out of the blue it started to drop all of its needles. Other than the seasonal change no other environmental factors changed around this plant. Now it only has about 1/3 of its needles left on the tree. Could this be related to the Japanese white pine loosing its needles? The white pine and the fir are more than 100 feet away from each other.

Is there anything I can do to save either of these trees. Please advise.

Thank you,
    Distressed tree owner

2. bleedingheart

bleedingheart Member

Hey Unregistered Guest, two questions to ask, (1) how is your soil where you planted your Japanese white pine and Fraiser Fir? (2) Do you know if there are Master Gardeners in your area of Pennsylvania? they can give you some specific advise for your trees in your area .